Exiting SPED

Parents and school personnel have the right to stop the services of a special education student. If the parent does not agree with the program or feels that their child is not progressing, they should talk to the special education staff at the school. Together they should decide if any changes can be made, if that program is the right place for the student to be, or if the parent should withdraw their agreement with the placement. It is the school’s responsibility to be sure that the student still receives a free appropriate education.

If an evaluation shows that the student is no longer eligible for services, the IEP team has the right to decide on whether to continue the student in the special education placement.

Return to Homepage